The Port of Tanger Ville is located at the entrance of the Strait of Gibraltar, on the western edge of the city’s roads of Tangier, open facing the northwest.
Located in the city of Tangier, Morocco's main maritime gateway to the Mediterranean, the port of Tangier is located at the junction of the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea in a bay between Cap Spartel and Cap Malabata.
This unique and strategic position gave the port of Tangier the status of first Moroccan port for passenger and TIR traffic. Known for regular routes connecting various European ports such as Algeciras, Tarifa and Barcelona in Spain, Sete, Marseille and Port Vendres in France, and Genoa in Italy, the Port of Tangier stands out from other ports because of the free zone located in its storage areas and additional high added value goods.
With the commissioning of the new Tanger Med port, located 40 km east of Tangier, almost all the traffic of the port of Tangier was transferred progressively from late 2008 until late 2010.
A port redevelopment project, led by the Société d’Aménagement du Port de Tanger, was initiated in 2010, aiming to give the port a new function oriented towards cruise tourism and yachting.
The port's conversion work started in 2011, and is scheduled to end in 2016, allowing the city of Tangier to become a leading destination for tourism.
- ◊ Location : 35°47’N-5°47’O;
- ◊ Function : Passenger transport, fishing and boating;
- ◊ Road access :
- - The Casablanca - Tangier Road and Highway;
- - Road 704 connects Tangier to Ceuta.
The origin of the port dates back to the seventeenth century, when the English built a 225 m long, 33 m wide mooring pier that was later destroyed in 1684. A coal depot concession for steamers was built in July 1895 and the first wooden pier soon followed in 1897. The new dock improved conditions for landing passengers and goods. Between 1903 and 1908 a port for barges and small sailboats was built; it was composed of a 340 meters long jetty protecting it against the northwest swells. In 1921, a Decree by the Cherifian Government granted the "Société du port de Tanger" the exclusive right to build, maintain and operate the port of Tangier. Between 1925 and 1933, the "Société du port de Tanger' created many additional extensions including a breakwater 960 m in length, a 300 m long intermediate retaining wall, a platform for coal and fuel oils, and several other jetties. Additionally, dredging was carried out at 3.5 m and 4 m deep within the coastal navigation basin, underwater earthwork was undertaken to create an anchorage area at 8 meters deep as well as an oil wharf and a service wharf. In 1967, the government ended the concession granted to the "Société du Port de Tanger" and decided to entrust the management of the port to the RAPC. In 1985, management was entrusted to the Exploitation des Ports then to the Morocco Port Authority (Agence Nationale des Ports) in 2006. On December 15, 2010, by Ministerial Order, the port of Tanger Ville was closed to commercial ships. Today it only accommodates cruise ships and high speed ferries connecting to Tarifa (in the south of Spain).