The port of Jorf Lasfar is a conventional port as well as serving as a port for ore shipping, located 17 km from El Jadida and 120 km from Casablanca. OCP plants, a thermal power plant, and hydrocarbon depot units are located nearby. As an extensible port, it offers a comprehensive handling capacity. It is certified ISPS since 2004. The port enjoys a favorable geographic location in an area undergoing a significant economic, social, industrial, agricultural, cultural and tourism boom. It is characterized by prominent seabed (a draught of 5 to 15.60 meters deep), road & rail access and an extensive telecommunications network gives it excellent connection capabilities with its environment. Its hinterland is rich in ore mining operations (Benguerir and Youssoufia).
- ◊ Location : 33°7’N-8°38’O;
- ◊ Function : Trade and fishing;
- ◊ 2 Gates : North and South :
- - The first gate : road and rail access from the south;
- - The second gate : road access from the North.
- ◊ Road access :
- - Rural Route 301 between El Jadida and Safi;
- - Rural road #316;
- - National road #1.
- ◊ Rail connection :
- ◊ Infrastructures :
- - Berthing docks : 2400 Linear Meter;
- - Draught : between 5 and 15.6 meters deep;
- - Platforms : 110 ha.
Construction of the port began in 1974 and started operations in 1982. Traffic increased from 74,263 tonnes in 1982 to about 18 million tonnes in 2011 and the number of ships increased from 4 by late 1982 to 1049 in 2011.