The agency’s action plans aim to help Morocco’s ports meet regulatory requirements and international standards.
Among these plans, bringing harbormasters up to date (ensuring that harbormasters are certified to the ISO 9001 Version 2000 standard) and implementing specific measures for increased monitoring and vigilance in port facilities are in place.
The agency’s five main goals in the field of safety and security are :
- ◊ Ensuring the continued compliance of ports and port facilities to international regulations, particularly the ISPS code that applies to ships engaged in international voyages and port facilities providing services to these vessels. Upgrading and maintaining the port equipment such as video surveillance and scanners;
- ◊ Strengthening the partnership with institutional actors in charge of matters relating to safety and security (General Directorate of National Security, Administration of Customs and Excise, Civil Protection, National Center for Energy, Science and Nuclear Techniques, National Directorate Meteorology);
- ◊ Establishing a safety and security information and management system (SMS) in ports;
- ◊ Preserving and maintaining the port heritage dedicated to safety and security;
- ◊ Standardizing and implementing rules and work procedures governing the field of safety and security.
In its role as port community unifier, the agency disseminates a culture of safety through training to various stakeholders. Provided for by the Port Training Institute, this training includes an introduction to port security, safety, health, sensitivity to the environment, and fire safety.
The agency has a policy focused on sustainable development through training and information activities for the development of environmental awareness through a voluntary and pro-active policy.
ANP is aware of the ecological issues and impacts of port community activities on the environment. These issues deal with protecting diversity, respecting residents and their facilities, managing pollutant waste, and even the impact of activities on air, water, soil, and underwater flora and fauna.
Key actions undertaken by the agency in the environmental field are :
- ◊ Developing green spaces;
- ◊ Keeping docks clean;
- ◊ Evacuating goods already in ports;
- ◊ Measuring water quality and sediments in port zones and comparing them to the environmental quality standards currently in port zones;
- ◊ Removing dock wreckage;
- ◊ Providing ports with infrastructure, equipment, and products to fight against pollution;
- ◊ Participating in the organization of a national bi-annual drill (SIMULEX) to fight against accidental marine pollution by hydrocarbons, test ports’ emergency plans, and strengthen coordination with stakeholders;
- ◊ Strengthening the partnership with the Mohammed VI Foundation for Environmental Protection particularly through the « Voluntary Carbon Standard » and « Clean Beaches » programs.